So it's September! How is everyone doing? I know that the end of the summer can be hetic with finishing up summer activities with friends family and loved ones, and getting kids back into school. I know I have had one heck of a summer, in a very good way & I hope you all have too!
I wanted to share how staying positive and productive during this summer has helped me grow into my business a little more comfortably.
I have had a very busy summer, with heath issues at the beginning, company during the month of July, having my 33rd birthday, and having a fabulous last of the summer karaoke party with family and friends. I still worked every day regardless, maybe it be an hour a day or 16 hrs. a day but I worked every day.
So let’s grab a cup of coffee and re-wind….
Last year at this time I was moving into a brand new house with my boyfriend and had just graduated 4 months. I was ready to dive into business. But I had to un-pack my warehouse, 2 storage units, and move from my moms. Time just seemed to not exist. Shortly life happened and my boyfriend took a dive off some scaffolding at work and broke his shoulder in December of last year.
I knew then weather this house, family and I would like it or not, I had to start working. At this point I was far behind. I was struggling maintaining my inventory. It was here and there, at moms still, in the office, not in the office. EVERYWHERE!
I knew once he started to feel better this last June it was time to focus on the organization of this house. Not just this house but my business.
- Step 1 – I found all and any available bins, baskets, bottles, trinket boxes I could.
- Step 2 – Got the label maker out.
- Step 3- Started with the small little boxes, everything not listed.
- Step 4- Sorting, I took lots of extra time going over every garment and item to list.
- Step 5- Donating the items I could not sale to families & non- profits. This created a few extra boxes to give me for more storage space.
- Step 6- Making sure all goes in the labeled box or bin.
- Step 7- Color, and Pattern code. This helps you finds things much easier!
Repeat! Repeat! And I am still Repeating! I will continue til I am one season ahead. Which I am already working on next spring boxes.
Now, you maybe thinking not all can go into bins and boxes so what next….
- I took my old dresser from moms that I had painted, my boyfriends old dress and created even more space freeing up more bins for organization by labeling drawers for the smaller stuff.
- I took my Grandfathers old encyclopedia book case and started to use that for my books and magazines.
- My old landlords from a former business, which was a Deli for 3 years while in college. They called up this past month to say they are moving to Texas so I ended up inheriting some amours.
- Now creating even more space, So I did this with little spending money, instead I focused on materials needed to have a successful shipping season. Stocked up on ink, paper and packing supplies when I can, I do recycle what I can and I have had friends look out for bubble warp and boxes that are good for shipping.
- This is something that is never ending, but where do I store this stuff! Well I made a trip to the dollar store they have great little plastic bins. I now can store a good amount of wrapping and bubble wrap right in my office and some stored away, great for all kinds of storage.
|Color and Pattern code.|
|I ended up with 2 of these for free, talk about space savers, I will miss my old friends but so happy they contacted me 1st before throwing these away.|
|The Old Dresses being used. Label Label Label!|
|I even worked on my Etsy shop's supplies as I was cleaning I am depleting my supplies.|
This all resulting into a great summer and summer success for myself and business. I thank you all, family, friends, and network!
So here we are the in the presence of Fall.....
Holiday season, it is time to get to the grind. This may for some a night-mare for sellers, it was for me last year not being this organized. Here are some tips I have done to prepare myself for the holidays. I hope everyone that can use these, see’s the results that I am currently.
- Step 1- Focus on your monthly goals. Set a few small ones for each week. Mine this week is 20 drafts in eBay drafts ready to go with all finale details done. (Everything is now in it’s place.)
- Step 2 – Prepare by the month. This is the best time to start listing your Halloween items. People are already starting to purchase. So if you need to pre-write your items while waiting for the next big promotion. I encourage you to do so. I have a goal of 200 pre-writes before the week is up. To have a final total of 1,350 listings with sales, mind you I do all this on my own. ( Everything now has a home, YAY)
- Step 3 – Work every day but don’t wear yourself out. It is important to try to work every day. This even includes answering messages, working on your social media aspect of marketing. It all ties in hand and hand. You do need time for yourself. I still struggle with this time for you thing, but I am managing to work it in. Seeing better productive work days when working all day
I do thank you all for your support in my shop, my life and dream. You really have to love what you do; I have to say I do!
With just a few last words to being said, just a few things I repeat to myself frequently so I don’t get discouraged when a curve ball gets in my way.
- Don’t give up, don’t let the small stuff discourage you
- have the communication with your buyers that you would want to have with a merchant your purchasing from.
- Small shop, large shop you work hard!
- Don’t compare yourself to other shops or judge others.
Thank you for stopping in and sharing time with me and my shop. Happy Fall!
Stop by and see what's new! Always adding daily. MY SHOP
Stop by and see what's new! Always adding daily. MY SHOP